Squaw Mountain Run Announces Cash Prizes!
New for 2017 – There will be a King and Queen of the Mountain with the fastest man and fastest woman each winning a $150 cash prize!
For the past 36 years, every summer, hundreds of runners and hikers have made the annual trek to the top of Squaw Valley while enjoying a great workout with stunning views of Lake Tahoe and the High Sierra. By signing up you too can be a part of this tradition which also helps raise money for the Gene Upshaw Memorial Cancer Center.
Race takes place on Saturday, July 29, 2017 at 9 am.
Highlights include: 2,000 vertical feet of climbing, abundant wildflowers, fully stocked aid stations with friendly volunteers, after party and maybe even some snow to slide around on.
This epic run starts at the base of Squaw Valley Ski Resort (elevation 6200’) and climbs up 2000′ feet in 3.6 mile to High Camp (elevation 8200’) where awards, raffle, music, light refreshments & beer await you.
Participants can choose to run or take a more leisurely pace and hike, or Nordic Walk (hike with poles). This is a FUN event for the entire family! There’s also an option to take the cable car up to High Camp and take a guided wild flower walk so everyone can participate and enjoy this beautiful location.
|July 5- July 27
|Day of Race
- Transport of your spare clothes up to High Camp (bring a compact bag – labeled with your name) for your gear
- Two aid stations on the course (first one with just water, second with water, energy drink and Heed & Hammer Gel to fuel you for the last push to the finish)
- Awards for the uphill competitors – top 3 places in 10 year age categories
- Brad Henry Mugs for the top 3 men and top 3 women overall
- All participants entered in the raffle for some great prizes from Salomon and our other sponsors
- All participants receive a souvenir beer glass at the finish line
- Live music & light refreshments & beer at High Camp
- Discounted tram ride to High Camp for spectators
- Prayer flag at the awards to honor those who have lost their lives to cancer
- Free cable car ride back down
- Souvenir Salomon tech shirts available on a first come basis beginning at registration
Final Registration & Bib Pick-Up:
- July 28th 4 – 7 pm Registration & Bib Pick up at The Village at Squaw Valley
- July 29th 7 – 8:15 am Registration & Bib Pick up at The Village at Squaw Valley
- Race Starts at 9 am
Tips and Advice
- How to do your best at these runs? Join your local running club! We recommend our local running club – Donner Party Mountain Runners
- Can’t make this one? Check out our Ultimate Guide to Trail Runs in Lake Tahoe for a complete list of summer trail races
- Like our Facebook Event Page for up to date information on this race including conditions. It could be a fun run on snow this year!
Flower Walk Details:
Signing up for the Flower Walk gets you the 9am tram ride up to High Camp (tram ticket included in your entry) & knowledgeable guides to show you what and where the best flowers are. The blooms are usually spectacular this time of year. As a participant you are also entered into the raffle and get a souvenir beer mug. Registration is the same as the race – just check the flower walk option on the reg form & check in at the flower walk/spectator tickets table to get your free cable car ticket
Your Race Registration Helps Fight Cancer:
– For many the event has become a way to celebrate life following personal struggles with cancer or in memory of a loved one who may have been less fortunate. There will be a flag at registration for those who wish to sign, and write names of loved ones. The flag will be carried up by a volunteer participant and we will hold a short prayer ceremony at the Awards ceremony. 20% of funds raised from The Squaw Mountain Run are donated to The Tahoe Forest Health System Foundation to help local cancer patients afford the care they need. In the last six years since Auburn Ski Club took over the event – ASC has raised over $15,000 for the Foundation.
Volunteer & Get a Free Tram Ride
– ASC needs help at registration, at feed stations and at High Camp. Please email email@example.com if you can help.
Map of Race Course
If you have any questions about this year’s race please email Squaw Mountain Run – Race Director Meg Seifert: firstname.lastname@example.org
Meg Seifert of the Auburn Ski Club says, “Squaw Mt Run is a truly amazing event, we get people of all abilities out there challenging themselves on a tough climb. There are so many wonderful people that do this event annually. It is a great way to spend a day in Tahoe, exercise, music, food and beer. From an organizer’s perspective, there are a lot of logistics to put on a point to point race, but it is a great challenge. All the work seems so worth it as I watch hundreds of people enjoying their day at High Camp.”
Can’t make it to the Squaw Mountain Run? There are tons of other great trail runs and races around Lake Tahoe and Truckee. Check out our Ultimate Guide to Trail Runs in Lake Tahoe!
Huge Thanks to our Sponsors!
Salomon, Tahoe Mountain Sports, Squaw/Alpine, Darn Tough, Ultimate Direction, 50/50 Brewing, North Lake Tahoe Resort Association, Hammer Nutrition, Brad Henry Pottery, Road ID, Adventure Sports Journal